Entertainment and Art

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: bupsting makes me feel good

Re: Entertainment and Art

Post by Pentagrami »

where do ya'll stand on fanart?
im jimmy pentagrami aka grami
firetruckz 2 hes bac wrote:Ghostbupsters
when will dilen come back from the war???......
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Re

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Art and entertainment are both subjective. That said, I know what i like wen I experience it and I know what I don't like wen I experience it, I let others like what they want to like, dislike what they want to dislike, and ask that they extend me the same courtesy.

It's a bit moot given my blindness, but when it comes to flat imagery, I tend to prefer stylized or abstract art to photorealism, though even a photorealistic drawing or painting can be enjoyable given an interesting subject. While I can appreciate the technical skill that went into the Mona Lisa or The Last Supper, I'd much rather look at the vast majority of anime-style drawings of the present-day.

Something I wish was done more often in the realm of two-dimensional art is the use of texture to give tactility to an image. To this end, I'm reminded of an art project from my grade school days where students where given a choice of several famous paintings the art teacher had outlined in yarn on a cardboard backing with the students using various to fill in the image with color and texture.

With sculpture, I'm a fan of abstract and mathematical forms, and I'm a strong believer that sculpture can only be properly experienced through touch.

My taste in literature is fairly diverse in genre, tone, quality of writing, etc. I tend to treat plays, movies, televisions, audio drams, etc. as being largely an extension of literature.

My musical tastes are also fairly eclectic, though I can't really say I'm a fan of anything truly avant garde.

I enjoy many types of poetry from the humorous to the sorrowful, from the purely metaphorical to the literal, and from the highly metered and rhymed to the free verse.

I think that covers most of the major mediums.

As for art from trash, I can appreciate creative use of discarded items as material as well as I can appreciate creative use of raw materials. Still, if the so-called finished product still looks like a pile of trash, it's probably a bit too abstract for my liking, but hey, if a sculpture working in sheet metal decides to challenge himself by using empty soup cans as his material rather than sheets of virgin steel, more power to him.

As for fan-art, it's a mixed bag just as with non-fan stuff. Some is complete garbage, some is mediocre, and some are masterpieces(and some of the masterpiecesput the source material to shame).
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: My ego will blot out the Sun.

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

Goat wrote:Personally art needs a second renaissance, the spectrum for what has been called art has given way for having a urinal be accepted into a museum as something taken seriously.
I mean

The urinal was accepted almost a century ago so..
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

strawberry-boyfriend wrote:What about me Mamkute! :surprise:
You seem to be on topic, and even bringing the topic back on track.
strawberry-boyfriend wrote:Tim hecker is my "I'm ****ing a witch, covered in virgin blood, practicing strangulation on a blood moon" music
Ummm... I think I stand by what I said.

Art is such a huge topic, but I guess I will just share my opinion on the more lame "modern art" side of this discussion (i.e. unarranged piles of trash, or this)
And even then, I am not sure if I have a fully formed opinion on such things.
I have legitimately gone to a modern art museum to see a painting that was all one color, just some lame unpleasant green-brown. I know some may call it art, but I can not get behind that. I get that simplicity is often key to such pieces of art, and that simplicity was once a big statement, but I think it has gone too far. The value of simplicity in art came as a contrast to highly realistic or detailed art, and so it was more a product of its time, than it is an enduring statement like a lot of other iconic pieces.
And now simplistic, weird modern art has become mainstream to a point where it kind of undermines its original purpose of being a contrarian art style.

Piles of trash, if arranged in a cool way can totally be art, and being really awesome, too.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

Art is merely the end result of creativity.
Art can also be entertaining, but it doesn't have to be.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Depends on how you define art. What you include, what you don't, etc. The way I personally define art is the expression of human creativity with the purpose of pleasing the senses, having an emotional effect, or having a lasting effect on the medium. I like this definition because defining art as "something good to look at or listen to" is incredibly subjective and excludes works like 4'33", which isn't traditionally "good to listen to" yet still had a lasting effect on the medium.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Pentagrami »

personally i think modern art has a lot to offer. i think art is any deliberate piece meant to evoke feelings and singular thoughts from its audience. one of my favorite pieces is Robert Gober's Haired Cheese because i enjoy how salty people get over "cheese with hair being featured in museums" and im sure that is the point of it. like for real, face it, even if it's "just that" it is evoking a reaction from you. some sort of primal feeling of anger and confusion. not to mention it does make one feel entitled. i don't truly understand the anger over such things being perceived and considered art by others. is it because you're unhappy that you haven't gotten that kind of attention? are you angry that your doodles will never make it into a museum while some cheese with hair does? what makes you qualified to just up and say "this isn't art and it's causing the spiraling down of society?" as a common individual, as just another person, what gives you the right to just say that something shouldn't be up in a museum and it shouldn't be appreciated when someone else thought it should? something that is truly harmless and even if meaningless to you could mean the world to other people?

in mamkute's example, that one painting made you feel disgust did it not?? most single color paintings are an exploration of color psychology. how do people react when they are presented with artificially elevated single instances of color?? warmer tones tend to evoke more anger while dark and cold tones make people puzzled, cold and light tones tend to make people question the piece more calmly, and intentionally repulsive tones tend to make people just simply disgusted. Rothko in particular played around with multiple primary swatches, complimenting, contrasting, and unrelated colors placed together in solid blocks to see what kind of feelings something more complex yet still simplistic could evoke. Rothko intended to see if adding on secondary colors to a piece could result in the spawning of secondary emotions, which i often find to be the case when confronted with such pieces. one in particular, an orange square enveloped by a dark blue frame, gave both me and my girlfriend an overwhelming sense of uneasiness.

museums and other places of appreciation such as galleries are the perfect venue to subject people to these pieces in a setting where they are expected and encouraged to react and question the piece instinctively. that said, such simplistic and direct approaches at stabbing one's emotional guts aren't the only thing modern art has to offer. i find myself fascinated every time i visit Cincy's Art Center. they always have such meticulously crafted collections full of the more complex and elaborate pieces that modern artists have to offer. i still remember all the intense emotions Do Ho Suh's Passage exhibit. not only were the incredibly complex fabric structures impressive and naturally off-putting (the collection featured immense architectural reproductions of buildings and household objects made entirely from fabric and wiring) but all the emotional and personal work poured into every single piece was downright tangible. one of the non-structural pieces, a rudimentary 360 degree montage of his walking his baby daughter through his hometown... it was so remarkable and and enveloping. it brought me to tears. that said, i am a HUGE fan of modern video installations. i do adore pieces and snipets of life but i am also a huge fan of more abstract and brain-wracking videos.

EDIT:
the hairy cheese in question
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

You put up a lot of good points, but I do stand by my statement. A lot of weird modern art is meant to be contrary and explore new aspects of art, but as it gets more accepted it loses some of its point. I can't really say if we have reached a point of it being too accepted (I guess not, since we are all having this discussion.)

You put up a particularly good point with how it could almost invoke an envy of people, thinking "I could do that." But on the contrary, using hairy cheese as an example. For that to get into a museum, the maker had to have some sort of connections, or be in some way well known for his previous pieces (I assume.) Meanwhile, a guy off the street, just starting an art career could make that exact same thing, and got shot down by everyone he comes into contact with. It is such a subjective piece, that connections, or happenstance, must play some large part in the piece getting picked up. Which is kind of sad, since it limits a lot of newer artists.

On the topic of monotone pieces, I do get that they are usually a psychological thing, but I do think that they should be more in the realm of psychology than art.
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Pentagrami »

that is indeed a problem, young artists have a harder path climbing up the ladder before they can dare to put up pieces like this, which does limit the field a lot )-: i personally take my time to appreciate people's work in any way i can, such as supporting local startup galleries and giving street performers the importance my attention can provide which im aware isnt much in the long run

on the other subject i simply think limiting such pieces to studies and controlled exposure takes away from the experience that is produced by seeing them while exalted and exhibited as art in the corresponding venues, not to mention in this way people can enjoy them and interact with them and find appreciation for something that although simple they couldn't have been exposed to otherwise.

i think Daredevil season 1 does a great job of conveying how much a tonal piece intended as art can mean to a person
with Wilson Fisk's fascination and emotional connection to the white canvas seen through the series, to the point it became an iconic piece in the mythology of the series
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: Actually more of a Gadfly

Post by Goat »

BlackLuigi7 wrote:I mean

The urinal was accepted almost a century ago so..
I traced the decline to over a century ago
Pentagrami wrote:where do ya'll stand on fanart?
It's in essence a continuation of what people have always done, except now instead of epic tales, religion, mythology or worldly events our inspiration comes from different sources.

On another note, please look at this rock.

It sold for ten million as an art piece.

If I didn't say it already I stand by the idea that modern art could just be a subgenre instead of be the definer, that way we'd at least get the classical paintings or works of art back instead of a policewoman urinating on the floor or a painting made with cow crap. The idea that anything can be art only enables the lazy instead of encouraging the beautiful effort of the brush
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Pentagrami »

i mean bro idk what you mean by that because modern art /is/ a "subgenre" just like there are still purely "classical" musicians traditional artists are still a thing, i don't mean traditional as the colloquial non-digital but simply that they have a more classic approach

there's purely traditional museums just like there's dedicated modern art galleries. big cities will usually have a notable one of each and plenty others falling on either or in between.

as to what people decide to spend their exorbitant amounts of money on
who are you to tell them a bodegon is worth more than shark girl? that's up to them
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

You know, you're actually right on the first point. To reiterate my stance, I wish the modern art attitude towards art wouldn't dominate nearly as much and give people a false understanding of what art was originally meant to be.

As for your question

If I was held at gunpoint and given the odd order to choose decor I would have to pick something my future children wouldn't question nearly as much. Therefore I would pick the bodegon.

To respond to your question, nothing in me can justify telling a person what to like. However something in me can justify breaking down a persons thought process and rather than trying to be find beauty in anything that to remind them there is nothing compelling them to besides the perceived attitudes of the modern art world which currently dominates and practically defines it.
Last edited by Mamkute on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please refrain from quoting all of a post directly above yours. Thank you.
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Pentagrami »

i meant this sweetheart in particular
http://www.albrightknox.org/collection/ ... hark-girl/

also
got a solution for your living room
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

>bodegon
>over a shark girl

smh you gonna get a lot more questions about having a bowl of grapes over ya **** over having a shark girl. at least w/ shark girl people will know why you got it. bowl of grapes is like "what is this a ****** art museum"
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Also the anime shark girl is something I'd take any day over the other shark girl or the fruit. At least the shark girl is cute. The fruit is just fruit
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Skonia
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao
Motto: Vugzahd, rei ahrk storniik.

Post by Skonia »

id have trouble with roommates if i started putting up my taste in satanic pieces i think. then again im not an actual satanist so ? maybe.

maybe i'll just put up a billion pictures of volcanoes and dragons.

also sorry if this is off topic to talk about what kinda art u would put in ur house.......... but now im kinda interested what people would put in their house.
y'all...
Image Image Image
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: My ego will blot out the Sun.

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

Skonia wrote:also sorry if this is off topic to talk about what kinda art u would put in ur house.......... but now im kinda interested what people would put in their house.
I feel like this is sorta on topic.
Despite the fact that Goat edited the OP and removed his question for whatever reason, it was about what art means to you at its core. Obviously the kind of art we would purchase ourselves would feed into that.

Anyhow, I probably wouldn't buy paintings. I would much rather actually paint the walls of my home to be more interesting, rather than buy and place paintings. I do have a few drawings from an artist I like, though.

I have quite a few dragon and skull statues that I collected when I was younger that I would totally try to at least decorate my room with.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

On the subject of museums:

On the one hand, there are so many museums the world over that if they all refused to take anything but the absolute best, there wouldn't be enough art to go around.

On the other hand, museums still have finite display space, so they can't accept every piece offered to them.

On the subject of modern art:

I think it worth noting that, for centuries, the dominant force in "fine" art was towards ever greater realism in painting, the prodigies of one generation learning their skills from the masters of the previous generation, refining those skills when they became masters and passing on those skills to the next generation in turn. Then modern photography is invented, and suddenly what might take a painter months of painstaking effort can be done almost instantly by a photographer with almost no effort. In a way, it was the feeling of obsolescence in the face of this development that encouraged the earliest modern painters to produce images that, rather than imitate life could be found nowhere in the natural world.

Personally, I like a lot of modern art, though I'll admit some of it arguably goes too far in trying to be anti-realistic.

Also, I'm not sure where Goat is getting the impression that modern art is overly dominant in 20th and 21st century art. Perhaps modern art gets more attention from the mainstream media than more traditionalist work or even art that experiments more with technology than it does subject or form, but it's not like post-photography paintings of cityscapes, landscapes, and even people who are recognizable as being people never make it into museums.

And to connect these two points: the Last time I went to an Art Museum, it's main Galleries were laidout in a way that presented a History of primarily Euro-American art, starting with Ancient Greek, going through Medieval and Renaissance to pre-modern and finally modern. Also, at the time, they had a special exhibit on Ancient Egyptian art. It was quite enjoyable, though I kind of wish they had more sculpture as well as more hands-on art. Granted, that visit was a few years pre-blindness for me, but even in those days, I thought touch was an under-engaged sense when it comes to most art.

As for what kind of art I'd like to display in my own home:

Framed posters and wallscrolls of the following:
Mahou Shoujo, Shounen Protagonists, Video Game Heroes and Heroines, etc. Ideally in full battle costume and striking a pose or in the middle of launching a signature attack.

Cute 2-D girls wearing such things as swimsuits, modest sleepwear, gothic lolita, Kimono, cosplay, etc. in poses that range from cute and innocent to cute and suggestive, but nothing overtly sexual.

Figures and Figurines of similar subject matter to the posters and wallscrolls.

Imagery of natural beauty, mostly focusing on flowers.

A coffee table covered in anime and video game art books.

Paperweight versions of mathematical sculptures.

Engravings and miniture sculptures of Dragons, both of European and East Asian design. Probably other mythological creatures as well.

Also, if it exists, I'd want to cover the walls of at least one room with Mandelbrot Wallpaper. If such wallpaper doesn't exist, I'd want to commission a mural of the Mandelbrot set. Mandelbrot carpet would also be awesome.

I'd also like to commission a tactile mural of some kind and would love to have a full-sized version of a George W. Hart Sculpture in my foyer.

Granted, much of that is a pipedream, especially since it would require me living in a much larger house and having a much larger income.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

BlackLuigi7 wrote:Despite the fact that Goat edited the OP and removed his question for whatever reason
What question? The OP stayed the same only now there's an image added
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by wic. »

Very glad everyone seems to be agreeing with me regarding the subjectivity of art.

As for art I decorate my space with, my grandmother is very much into antiquing so I have plenty of antiques in my room and around the house. Other than that it's decorated with my bookshelves, my vinyl, and of Montreal posters that I have hanging up. I'll probably be a bit more conscious when I head to uni this fall in terms of trying to make it look nicer.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

Sadly(?), yeah, I've got a tapestry / wall scroll of Kud from Little Busters hanging above my bed. Still haven't taken it down because I like to sit there and study the shading and colors sometimes.

But yeah having that hanging in my room is kinda embarrassing.

Not my Rewrite Kotori figure though. That is my child.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

I don't decorate my room much, but when i go off to college next year I'mma have weird fandom **** hangin everywhere. UT, Furry, Smash, etc. Not a lame ass bowl of fruit. I'm not 70 yet.
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Pentagrami »

i feel like me comparing this shark girl and her value to a bodegon (which is a traditional application of art) has sparked some off-topic-ish debate about personal tastes in decorations when i just meant to make direct reference over people paying more for modern art than "skilled brush work" and only meant to say monetary value was up to the buyer and not for others to dictate, just needed to clear that up
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

the shark girl goat picked > that shark girl
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Pentagrami »

again, the only reason im using her is to provide an example of a modern art piece that has sold for big money