So have you guys been getting your anime doses?

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 6 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
taco chao
Brave Chao
Brave Chao

Re: So have you guys been getting your anime doses?

Post by taco chao »

I mean, sadly, it's sorta inevitable. It's a forum that started off as being for a minigame of a game that came out, what, sixteen years ago now? (assuming we're talking about SA2 for a timeframe), which then has gotten nothing related to it unless you count the Tiny Chao Gardens in the GBA games or the Steam release as separate things. And as much as I would absolutely love another chao garden, the odds of us getting one after all this time seems kinda slim.

As for the actual discussion at hand, gonna be watching My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan this season at the very least, will probably pick up more stuff as I go along. We shall see.
I'm foo757#1804 on battle.net, if anyone is up for Hearthstone/Overwatch.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

I finished Cowboy Bebop and watched both Death Note and Ore Monogatari. Next I'm on Penguin Drum, but only at my girlfriend's house. I'm also supposed to be watching Gugure! Kokkuri-san and First Love Monster, but both are stalled due to me not caring too much about them. Also because I'm trying to form a list of dubbed anime from the 60s to the 90s and give them a watch too.

I'm also planning to watch the Live Action Death Note movies and drama. And I'm excited for the Netflix American adaption.

To make a call-back to seasonal anime:
Crazo3077 wrote:Winter 2017 Anime Watching List:
  • Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - It's probably the best this season, if not this year.
  • Masamune-kun's Revenge - Plenty of fun, with the protagonist reminding me of the protagonist from Blue Blazes.
  • Fuuka - I heard the manga is good, but the anime isn't all that great. Watching for a friend.
Fuuka was ultimately boring, but the anime apparently diverges greatly from the manga, and after hearing about what happens in the manga, the changes are hilarious. Fuuka gets the last sentence in the series, saying something along the lines of "We'll be together forever." and that is beautiful.

Masamune-kun's Revenge has a lackluster ending, but I still think it is worth watching. Maybe the manga is better, but the anime definitely drops too short, and the latter half of the show introduces and reintroduces characters that should have been more firmly established sooner.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is still 100% perfect! The ending, and even the second to last episode, were great ways to finish the series! I'm not sure I want a second season, but I wouldn't say no to it. I'll definitely be picking up the manga.

Nothing about the Spring 2017 season is calling to me yet, but we have a few more weeks for all the series to launch. I'm probably not touching the second season of My Hero Academia until it is all available in English on Funimation's streaming service, and might not watch the second season of Attack on Titan at all. I'm mostly just going to be griping about my policy about not using illegal streaming services while waiting for Netflix to put up the Little Witch Academia series.

---

On a related note, my research about older anime has brought me to a series called Minky Momo. I thought it may have been a magical girl series that reached the United States before Sailor Moon, only to learn that every other English speaking part of the word got the series, where as the United States only received an OVA, but I also learned that Minky Momo and another magical girl series Creamy Mami were basically the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic of the time, meaning they garnered an unexpected amount of adult male fans.

These fans would go on to start the trend of rabid fandomization, not only beginning the wave of Lolita Complex and eventually Moe in general, but also giving life to the label "otaku" itself. Like it is scary realizing that a lot of what has become standard about otaku culture may stem from beginnings comparable to the brony culture.

On a lighter note, the voice actress of the lead in Creamy Mami actually launched a singing career though the series, not unlike the VAs from Love Live (though far less temporary). Like there actually is a lot of cool stuff about the series out there, but I haven't looked too deeply because my project is looking at dubbed anime, and it was never dubbed.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Osomatsu-san just recently was confirmed for another new season so I've been rewatching the first season and my god it's so good. By far my favorite comedy anime that doesn't run on for ages. Also love its light poppy colour palette and artstyle.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Re-watching Gunbuster (always good) and keeping up with the dub of Hunter X Hunter. I'm also trying to finish up some of the various 12 episode anime that I've only watched halfway through before moving on to some newer stuff.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
NiGHTSIsLife
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: If you have time to worry, then run!

Post by NiGHTSIsLife »

Um... I'm trying to finish Sonic X (the English dub first, then I'll watch the Japanese version). I also watch the Kirby anime and Pokémon.
“Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets.”
Gaon
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Gaon »

I'm currently watching Pokemon Sun/Moon and Little Witch Academia.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

I just finished rewatching Princess Jellyfish, this time in English. I forgot it was only 11 episodes. If you haven't heard of it yet, take this as a serious recommendation

This season I'm watching Alice & Zoroku, which has been fun so far. It is creative, but sometimes that can be overwhelming. I hope they do more world building soon.

I planned to watch Eromanga Sensei, but Kayla and I said we'd watch it together, and we've been lazy about starting. We just like how the main girl looks.

My most anticipated for this season still is Anonymous Noise, but I'm frustrated by Amazon Prime's Anime Strike having the streaming rights in the United States. Just like Scum's Wish, anime is being held hostage for a higher price than any other streaming service. A true shame.

I would be watching My Hero Academia, but I'd die with the cliffhangers. I'd also say I'm waiting to watch it all in English, but Funimation in doing SAME DAY DUBS for that and Attack on Titan. So apparently I'll be starting off the Summer Season by watching all of My Hero Academia on Funimation and Little Witch Academia on Netflix. (This summer I go back to school, apparently.)

I really need to prioritize some older anime. Definitely want to compare the English versions of Space Pirate Captain Harlock, Gatchaman, and Space Battleship Yamato to the original versions. And I need to do that with more than just the first episodes of Astro Boy and Speed Racer.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Still buried under a mountain of Harry Potter fanfiction distracting me from everything else, but I recently finished the Etsusa Bridge series and read the prologue to the first Volume of Vamp! It's been a while since I've read any good vampire fiction, and the person who directed me to the fan translations of Narita's works has gotten me hyped, so maybe it won't take me as long to get through Vamp! as Etsusa Bridge did. Still, Narita's long chapters are long, and I don't know why, but given the same total word count, I find I have a much easier time marathoning something with short chapters. It's even to the point I could spend all day without realizing it reading something that takes 15-20 minutes per chapter to read, but chapters that average 2 hours to read might leave me exhausted by the end, and chapters that take half a day to read might leave me reluctant to even start even on days I finish my daily reading(i.e. forum posts, e-mail, and new chapters of ongoing serials I'm reading) before noon and have nothing else to do.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

I am currently following Renai Boukun, I like that for once the protagonist of a harem anime/manga isn't pussyfooting around the women and actively grows his harem.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Since my last post, I've finished the first volume of Vamp!, and Pirie Mistwalker, referred to as the Jester in the first volume, has dethroned Outer Moka from Rosario Vampie as my vote for cutest vampire across all vampire fiction.

I've also resumed my episode-by-episode comparison of the Animax and Nelvana Dubs of Cardcaptor Sakura, with episode 19 being next in line. Most noteworthy change in the most recent batch of episodes comes in the episode where Sakura meets her great grandfather. In the Animax dub, Sakura is unaware of the family connection between herself and her great grandfather, and the viewer only knows because Tomoyo's mother shows up to make the reveal. In the Nelvana dub, the old man is dropped to being Sakura's maternal grandfather instead of the common grandfather of Sakura and Tomoyo's mothers and Sakura is aware of the family connection all along. Guess the Nelvana people thought it was a bit creepy for an old man to reminisce about his dead granddaughter with his great granddaughter without ever mentioning that said dead granddaughter is the great granddaughter's mother.
Vaporwave
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao

Post by Vaporwave »

i tried watching akira on the nice tv downstairs and then my mother and sister came home and i got sad that i only got to watch half of the movie

i will continue at a later date will keep you updated
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

My brother watched and finished Air Gear around 10 years ago, and I never really cared for it. I began watching it recently and it's really great. The dub is pretty good for a 2006 anime, all the voices sound fine and fit their character. Hell the anime has a lot of subtle references, I barely caught a Fist of the North Star reference in there. Music is top tier but what else could you ask from Naganuma?

Manga wise, still going through Breakshot, and I finished Punpun a while back, truly something everyone should read.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Vaporwave
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao

Post by Vaporwave »

update: finished akira, it was good
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

My list tells me to finish konosuba and get started on season 2 of love live.

Nozomi is greatest
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by retrolinkx »

I decided to spend a day to watch a whole Anime in one go, funnily enough I decided against it the day before due to not wanting to waste the day and instead forced Fox to watch 9 episodes of Kaiji with me. So all in all, I wasted the day whether I liked it or not.

The anime I chose was Madoka Magica. Mainly because I was spoiled on the fate of a certain character and the person who spoiled it to me said "Well you should've watched it anyway". It really pissed me off and I decided that I might as well watch it just because of that.

Spent the whole day watching it, and gotta say. I hate when people tell me big things about anything before I indulge in it, telling me "DUDE IT'S LIKE THE DEEPEST AND WACKIEST ANIME EVER, IT'S SO WEIRD TIME TRAVEL AND WITCHCRAFT YOU SHOULD WATCH IT" is such an annoying thing for me. It's spoiling what looks like a cutesy anime about magical girls. It's like spoiling the fact Arnold is the good guy in Terminator 2 for people who know NOTHING about Terminator at all, but you're assuming they not only know this, but it's also REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE to watch the damn film.

Although for Madoka, it was a pleasant surprise because what people told me about it didn't really spoil it much. Sure, I knew it was wacky and not what you'd expect from first glance, and the spoiler happens early on and isn't much of a problem. What was cool about it was that, Madoka actually doesn't become a magical girl until the last episode due to the plot of the show which is surprisingly good. Hell Madoka is barely the main character, everyone else becomes a magical girl and in the process you learn why she can't become a Magical Girl.

It's honestly a great anime, and it's such a shame people have to tell you why it's good otherwise you'll overlook it. In the end finding the anime and everything about it, will result in you knowing it's not what it looks like and thus ruins a small part of it, but this is made up by you really NOT KNOWING what you're in for.

The fact that one character keeps going back in time to prevent Madoka from dying would've been a cooler if I hadn't seen it done before in Steins;Gate. When it happened the first time in the show, I just thought of Steins;Gate. Not saying it was bad, but it was kind of a let down.

Overall, great anime, and Mami's transformation theme is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MaQ6m6mho8
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Loving My Hero Academia. Tremendously.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

It's a really strong Shonen Jump entry, it hasn't failed to please yet.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Been rewatching Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions. Still a top tier anime. Super sweet delusional characters. Love it!
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Recently found out that one of the people translating the Ojamajo Doremi 16 Light Novels has resumed translation after a long hiatus, so I've now finished the second volume and started the third. Here's hoping the translator maintains a semi-regular schedule and makes it through all 9 volumes.
Mephilesfan1
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: memento mori

Post by Mephilesfan1 »

i've been watching my hero academia. it's really good so far. i also finished say "i love you" a few weeks ago, and it was really good! it was cute and touched on some hard subjects. i hope to finish my hero academia soon!
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by retrolinkx »

Thought I'd bump with how I feel about anime today.

Gambling anime 10 years ago.

Gambling anime today.

That is all.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

the only people who get to complain about anime are the ones who buy bluerays
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

so gambling anime is a gamble in itself to find a good one now?

ahahahaha ha ha ha

ha

---

As for me watching anime, I haven't watched anything in a while.
Heck, I haven't finished anything either, I'm still in the middle of Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon X & Y (which actually started getting really interesting to watch), and I'm behind on the dub of Dragon Ball Super too.

But my Dad's started watching One Piece about a month ago and he's 310 about episodes in right now.
Also apparently he thinks My Hero Academia is one of the best shows he's ever watched, so much that he started watching the dub then and I believe he started watching the subbed version just to get more episodes.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.