Chao can perform many different actions, as described below. If there is an action that you don't see listed here, it may actually be a learnt animal behaviour.
- If your Chao likes your character and is nearby, it may bow and say something that sounds like "Hiiiiii~".
- Your Chao may start bouncing towards your character, and when it reaches the character it will start to rub against them (similar to a cat in real life). The Chao will continue to do this until you pet it, pick it up, feed it, or hit it. If you do not do anything, then it will stop after a while and start to excitedly grin and hop from foot to foot while giggling and waving its arms.
- If your Chao likes your character a lot (bond > 50), then when you whistle it will run towards the character with an exclamation mark sign above its head. Once it reaches the character, it will do as above.
- If your Chao likes your character a lot (bond > 50), then it will enjoy being held and will have a happy expression while waving its arms.
- It may also move its arm out like it is giving a thumbs up.
- If your Chao severely dislikes your character and is near it, it may hiss and stick its tongue out at the character with a "Baaahh" sound.
- If your Chao severely dislikes your character (bond < -50), then when being held it will struggle and try to break free.
- If the Chao has been attacked or thrown, it may stand and shiver to show it has been abused; it will also make a "brr" shiver sound as if it is cold. It may also become dizzy and sway its head with spiral eyes.
- If you take food away from a Chao while it is eating, it may start to cry.
- If a Chao has been given the Deer animal, then they will (usually) draw a picture of their favourite character. They may also randomly draw some other pictures.
- A very hungry Chao will walk over to food that is on the ground already and start to eat it, even if it is another Chao's leftovers. It may also become dizzy and sway with spiral eyes.
- If your Chao is bored, it may perform one of its learnt animal behaviours.